Saturday, May 14, 2011

Long Way From Home...

Hi, my name is Tricia, and I am an addict.

Let me explain... you see, I have an intense fascination with food. Food and I, well, we have what I would call a love/hate relationship. My 5 senses are head over heels for all things yummy, however, other parts of me namely my waist, hips and extra chins do not quite share the same emotion.

My epicurious exploits have most recently brought me half way around the world from my hometown of sunny Singapore to the Big Apple. The opportunity suddenly presented itself one day and I immediately jumped at it, packed up my suitcases and got onto the earliest flight to JFK.

Think someone was not very happy about my leaving... either that or she wanted to come along

Big send off from all my loved ones back home... awww.

Ever wondered what 21 hours in an airplane's like? Well it ain't pretty that's for sure, but I survived to tell the tale and here I am coming to you live from my room on the top floor of my brownstone in Brooklyn- living the dream.


The dream being, here in New York City and attending The French Culinary Institute. First spawned 10 years ago, it was from watching Chef Jacques Torres create beautiful edible art from chocolate on his then tv show Dessert Circus that got the cogs a turnin'. Upon finding out he was a dean here at the school, it was really just a matter of time till I would get here.

It has been a surreal first week, and amazing first couple of days being in school. Orientation for me was on the 10th of May and I got to know 2 great gals who are attending the culinary program. Coincidentally Chef Jacques Pepin was holding a demo that very day on Eggs and being in the audience, I was blown away to say the least. He made everything seem effortless and his 65 years of kitchen experience showed through in each and every movement made. He churned out perfectly made poached eggs, omelet, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, egg gratin, eggs Janet (his mum's recipe), and even demonstrated how to prepare egg sous-vide.


Classes began the very next day and so far I have made a classic french apple tart, a rum infused banana cream tart as well as gingersnap cookies! Oh yes, not to forget- THE BEST TASTING PASTY CREAM OF ALL TIME. Imagine the best custard cream filling you have ever had. This was better. Just sayin'. All that in just 3 days.

Ok enough of my ramblings, enjoy the pics!

Filling tart shell with apple compote

Knife skills being tested here! Slices of apple have to be thin, and even in thickness

Arranging the apple slices on top of the filling in a fan shape

Everything tastes better with a coating of butter and a sprinkling of vanilla sugar

The final product after some time in the oven~ Finished with a light apricot glaze

The makings of a Banana Cream Tart

Gorgeous pastry cream folded into whipped cream makes for a luscious silky filling that is both creamy and light at the same time

Docked and blind baked tart shell ready for its custard centre

The folding in of the star ingredient

Practicing rosettes

I present to you, the banana cream tart. Best served cold. Yum.

Spiced Gingersnap cookie dough rolled in sugar

Getting ready for the oven
Out of the oven~ The kitchen smelled like Christmas all day!

The perfect Gingersnap. Crunchy at the edges, chewy and moist in the middle with a spicy kick.

2 comments:

  1. who gets to eat all this good stuff ;)
    enjoy and welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Michelle! That's a good question, I'll let my waistline answer that one~

    Thanks for visiting the blog and taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete